Copyright © Beauregard Tourist Commission. All rights reserved.
The builder was LeBlanc Brothers (Baton Rouge) who completed the building in 39 days for a cost of $57,480. It was ready to be used for the recreational and spiritual welfare of our armed services, Army and Army Air Force in the area on Nov. 27, 1941. Artifacts are on display, which commemorate the DeRidder Army Air Base, Camp Polk, the big Louisiana Maneuvers and the USO. Original WWII posters line the wall of the main drawing room. Plaques commemorate Generals Bradley, Mark Clark, Eisenhower, Marshall, and Patton, that mark meeting rooms named in their honor. On February 25, 1946 the American Legion purchased the building from the United States government and shortly thereafter donated it to the Police Jury with the stipulation that it be operated and maintained as a war memorial civic center. The building is maintained with a tax millage and continues in this use through the present.
Jct. of Pine & 7th Street, DeRidder, La.
Also known as the War Memorial Civic Center
Added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992
The War Memorial Civic Center was the first building built for and donated to the United Services Organization (USO) in 1941. It was one of the largest of five different sizes of Type A buildings designed for USO's by the Quartermaster Corps. Off-duty soldiers from Camp Polk and DeRidder Army Air Base made it a home away from home. The structure, exterior and interior, is preserved on its original site and in its original condition. The shower house still exists to the south of the building and dances are still held on the original wooden floor.
First USO & War Room Museum
Merryville Museum and Burk's Log Cabin
Lois and Albert "Dutch" Loftin devoted over 48 years to collecting the the over 3,000 dolls on display at the old Kansas City Southern Depot. The collection includes rare antiques and collectables from all over the world. Allow plenty of time. Visitors frequently spend hours pouring over the dolls and reading the background information which has been collected and made available for each of the dolls.
120 S. Washington Ave., DeRidder, LA 70634
Displaying a collection of more than 3,000 dolls from around the world. Admission is free, but donations are welcome. Open Tues. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; Sat. 9 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Lois Lofton Doll Museum
The Merryville Museum was founded in 1981 to acquire, preserve, and maintain information, artifacts, and memorbilia pertinent to the history of the United States of America, especially as it concerns Merryville, Beauregard Parish, Southwest Louisiana and Southeast Texas.
The museum and the historic Burks Log Cabin
are located at
628 North Railroad Avenue
One Block off Highway 110 West
Downtown Merryville, Louisiana
The museum is open for tours by request.
Please call 337-825-0101
and we will be happy to make
arrangements for you or your group.