Dry Creek was founded by Thomas W. Williams in the late 1830's. Other settlers arriving about the same time were William Iles, George Smith, and William Thompson. Then came Bill Bundick, and Joe Beckwith, for whom Bundick Creek and Beckwith Creek were named.
Dry Creek, Louisiana, is an unincorporated village located in the east-central portion of Beauregard Parish 20 miles southeast of DeRidder on the corner of LA. Hwy 113 and La. Hwy 394. The geography of the area is slightly hilly, ranging from 80-135 feet above sea level, consisting of mostly sandy soils with many creeks( not all dry) and ponds. Bundick Lake is located approximately five miles north/northwest of "downtown" Dry Creek.
Dry Creek is at the beginning of the "piney woods" of central Louisiana. Logging is the major industry of the area. There are many extraordinary vegetable gardens, and the entire area is noted for Sugartown melons as well as a "family atmosphere".
The first Dry Creek schools were built in the early 1860's and were built so that each segment of the community had a one room school within walking distance of the homes. Now the children in the area attend East Beauregard Elementary School and East Beauregard High School, five miles north.
About 1880 - Dry Creek and Sugartown were receiving mail by pony express from Lake Charles.
Dry Creek Baptist Camp is located at the corner of the two highways across from Foreman's grocery, with a Pentecostal church on the north side and a Bible Church on the south side of its boundary. There are many churches in the area and all faiths utilize the Camp's facilities.
One of the best features of the area is its distance from the coast (65 air miles), as many hurricane evacuees stop for shelter in Dry Creek during hurricane season.
Copyright © Beauregard Tourist Commission. All rights reserved.