Copyright © Beauregard Tourist Commission. All rights reserved.
In 1906 Members of the King-Ryder Lumber Company sawmill at Bon Ami, Louisiana were directed by Mr. Robert A Long of the Long-Bell Lumber Company to select a site in what was then Calcasieu Parish to build a sawmill and town that was to become the largest Long-Bell Lumber Company Sawmill in Louisiana. A site was selected and Longville ( named after Mr. Long) was born.
Work began on the construction of a 300,000 foot a day sawmill and planning mill. Timber cutting operations began and huge steam-driven pieces of equipment known as Skidders and Loaders operated off Tram Railroads built into the virgin pine forests.
A modern town complete with such conveniences as electric lights, water and sewer systems was built to support the workers in the sawmill. A Commissary or "Company Store" at Longville carried everything from cream to caskets. Entertainment was supplied at the "Dixie Theater" where silent picture shows were shown. Westerns were popular on Friday nights. The 60 room "Southern Hotel" was the most impressive structure built in Beauregard Parish during the sawmill era. A school was built in 1908 to furnish the educational needs of the families of the Longville Lumber Company.
This is just a small portion of the history of Longville as written in the book "A History of the Long-Bell Lumber Company and 'The Family' at Longville, La. 1906-1934" by local author Joe V. Warren, Jr. of DeRidder, La.
Two of the most devastating events in Longville's history; the fire that destroyed the sawmill and the fire that destroyed the school.